Monday, October 03, 2005

An interesting question.

"Where do you feel most alive?" This was the question that Forrest asked our Sunday School class this week. I am very rarely at a loss for words, but this question had me stumped. Forrest talked about how he loves being around the artsy kind of people- and you could see his face light up when he talked about it. Someone else talked about being at a concert, and around the group of friends that he goes to concerts with. That's when he felt the most alive. I'm not artsy, or very musical. So when I'm around that scene, I mostly feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. I used to feel the most alive at a club, or one of "my" bars. Now, I feel like a fish out of water in that scene as well. I love being home with my kids, and I enjoy going to church. But neither one are where I feel most alive. I thought about the question all day, and I finally came up with some answers.

If I had to pick one place that I feel most alive, it would be in the middle of an emergency at work. I LOVE that feeling. I love the challenge, and the fear, and the adrenaline. Don't get me wrong, I don't like that someone has something going wrong, but I thrive in that atmosphere. I love what I do for a living. I'm even more excited about what I will do when I graduate. I love seeing someone that was soooo sick, get so much better because of things that my coworkers and I knew how to do. I feel alive when I watch Gray's Anatomy or ER. Not for the soap opera portions- but for the great brain surgery and trauma scenes. I love medical stuff- just typing about it makes me feel alive. I cannot wait until I can travel to another country that has little medical resources, and provide medical treatment to people who desperately need it. It's my passion, and it's what makes me feel alive.

Okay, so what makes you guys feel alive?

15 Comments:

Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Good Job, Seminole. I can totally see you getting into that.

I think I achieved a rare feat by stumping RS. You usually always have something to sat.

11:56 AM  
Blogger shakedust said...

Clearing, you took one of my answers!

Things that make me feel alive:
- breathing
- eating
- pooping
- being a warm body
- reading blogs

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel most alive when I am peeing in the shower.

6:12 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Sorry Sem, this is what happens when you allow guys to enter your blog world.

6:34 AM  
Blogger T said...

I feel most alive when I feel that I am making a difference. Especially when it's helping someone out spiritually who is struggling, like we all do from time to time.

But even if it's just showing up to the hospital for a friend that's in St. Louis, or helping my husband pull off a chili dinner and awards for 200 people, or something as small as taking a minute to talk to my daughter and help her see she's not alone, or the first 10 year old to feel that way.

I like it when I feel what I have to say or do is contributing to benefit others. That's when I feel most alive.

Great question!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

girls and boys are sooo different. I'm glad to hear the bodily functions make you feel so alive. However, I'm with you T.

10:10 AM  
Blogger T said...

I had to give you a chick answer, although, golden would probably be with the guys on this one!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Boys goes Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to Mars, to get more candy bars...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Dash said...

Hi-Five Jera-mee!

I'm right there with ya .... well not actually in the shower; but I know what you mean.

Peeing in the woods on a cold night is better though.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Girls are not supposed to go to the bodily function side of the blog~! traitor.

3:43 PM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

Sorry, Seminole I'm a bodily function humor type girl also. It comes from not having sisters and being the only girl in our youth group for about a year. I hung out with my brother and his friends.

I feel most alive when I am befriending someone who really needs a friend at that moment. I like making other people happy.

5:44 PM  
Blogger gigi said...

iw.

6:32 PM  
Blogger gigi said...

goldensunrise... you are so sweet. I love that too!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

How sweet. Will you be my friend?

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny about that there Adrenalin Rush ahe! LOL ! Yes I have always loved it and funny thing everday life drives me nuts but when I am under the gun, I am having fun and like you I don't like things that happen to people but that is when I relax and feel good as having the knowledge and sometimes the common sense to deal with the issue at hand ! I always knew ya had it in ya, but can remeber at one time ya said ya didn't want that life!

Love ya Dad, also hang in there my daughter, as you can do anything you set your mind to ! Wink!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home