Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ode to my twenties!

I am thirty years old today! It is my golden birthday- 30 on the 30th. When I turned twenty I was very sad, I liked being "a teenager" and being in my twenties seemed entirely too old! However, my 20's ended up being incredible years! (WAY better than my teen years!) Here is my recap of the last decade:

In my twenties I....
  • began them believing I could never have children of my own.
  • became scared to death when I learned that Dr's aren't always right, and that I was going to be a single mother at 22.
  • discovered that church isn't for nerds, and that I really can feel God's love when I stop running from it.
  • met a man more incredible than I ever thought possible
  • felt a love so strong I can't even come up with words to describe it- the moment my daughter was born
  • became a Jerguson when that incredible man married me!
  • learned how scary and wonderful being a parent is
  • learned a lot about Brazil
  • discovered the importance of extended family, and really felt like I belonged
  • had an incredible little boy and found out how different boys and girls are!
  • heard my husband say "that's what siblings are supposed to do!" about a million times
  • had another little boy and learned how different two little boys can be!
  • cried.
  • laughed.
  • worked at a restuarant
  • worked at a ticket broker company
  • worked for a tanning salon
  • became a stay at home mom
  • worked at a hospital
  • decided to become a nurse and began going to school
  • got accepted to nursing school!
  • had the first surgery of my twenties at 29! (big decrease from the 7 I had in my teens!)
  • moved 7 times!
  • bought a house!
  • bought an SUV
  • traded the SUV for a minivan (see I really am thirty!)
  • took two of my kids to kindergarten
  • had my mom come to live with me.
  • had a whole family come and live with us for a little while.
  • looked forward each month to WagJerCo.
  • traveled to Texas, South Dakota, Washington DC, Tennessee, Branson, and the Lake of the Ozarks
  • made sure all of my kids have seen the ocean!
  • made lots of new friends
  • gained new sisters (shelley, heather, andrea, and angela) and became even closer to my Tia!
  • learned to straighten my hair!
  • discovered that even though everything changes around me, some things never do. I lost friends and gained friends, found a husband and three kids, and through it all-Shannon was there every step of the way!

Thanks everyone for making my twenties so wonderful! I don't know how my 30's can compete!

8 Comments:

Blogger shakedust said...

Happy Birthday!

It's amazing how much can happen and change in ten short years. I'm sure your 30's will compete just fine with your 20's. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Wow, that was a good recap. It makes me want to think about what I did in my twenties, if I could remember.

Happy Birthday. How come there is not a big party on your Golden occassion?

6:41 PM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

Thanks for sharing your twenties with us. Hope you had a nice birthday even with all the snow! I will probably be recapping my twenties in a year and three months.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

as shannon said, if there was a big party, it wouldn't be MY birthday! We went to dinner and had a great time! And the snow day provided the opportunity to sleep in, and then lay in bed and blog all morning long! What a great day!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy late b-day! Hope you had a great day! I am sorry I missed most of your 20s but I hope to be a big part of your 30s. Please keep in touch. Asha

9:27 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Asha! Yours is comin!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so nice to talk to you the other night-oldest friends are the best:)
just wanted to say i love you and hold you dear to my heart. thank for your inspiration and your support. you are truley a blessing in my life!!!
take care of you
~A
:)

7:48 PM  
Blogger roamingwriter said...

What fun to peak in here and see your list of the 20s. I just turned 4-0 a couple months ago and I wish I'd done a list like this of my 30s. You've done amazing things! Everyone keeps saying the 40s are great so I'm optimistic along with you!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home