Monday, October 31, 2005

My Rant on Daylight Savings Time

Once upon a time, not so long ago...I loved the night that we switched to Daylight Savings Time. You turn the clocks back at 2am, so the bars stayed open an extra hour. It was a reason to celebrate. The earlier evenings made people think about eating earlier, and so the restaurant I worked at would get busy earlier which meant more money in my pocket. For most people DST means an extra hour of sleep. But not for me. Now Daylight Savings Time means an extra hour of work. I cannot tell you how sad it is when we get to 2am and have to go back to 1am. At 2, I'm on the downhill slide of my 12 hour shift. At 1, I'm only halfway there. When it's 6am, and maintenance still hasn't fixed the clocks so you know it's supposed to be seven, anger begins to rise. WHY is it, that when we switch from DST back to normal time or whatever it's called, so many people "forget" to switch their clocks. "Sorry I'm an hour late, I just totally forgot to switch my forward". Yet after working every time change for the last 6 years (except for the year I was home with a newborn) NO ONE has EVER forgot to put their clocks back. Hmmmmm, makes you wonder. Another gripe about the time change. Kids don't get that the time changed. They still think it's 7 when it's only 6. It can take weeks to fix this. So they are waking up and want you to fix breakfast and do stuff for them, and it's time to sleep. Okay, that's the end of my rant. Sorry if I sound grumpy, I just didn't get as much sleep as everyone else did this weekend! ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I wish I had the energy of my kids when they wake up too early running around and shouting "it's morning time, the sun is out, wake up mom, wake up dad." But then again I didn't got to bed at 8:30.

7:35 AM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

This year I used that extra hour to have fun with friends instead of getting extra sleep. I usually opt for the extra hour of sleep. It was worth it, but I am still tired.

1:36 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

That's funny G!
I never think of that hour in terms of getting an extra hour of sleep, rather I get to stay awake an extra hour.

2:52 PM  
Blogger shakedust said...

I had never thought much about people who are on the clock when DST rolls over.

The time change seems archaic, and I don't think it is worth the extra hour of sleep, since it means that for a few months out of the year the sky is dark when I come home from work.

5:31 PM  
Blogger T said...

I liked living in the land of "no change" Indiana. I always hoped the rest of the world would join. But NOPE, this spring when I spring forward, they do too, so I will now never be on the same time as my folks again.

Working during that time would stink. Yuk.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home