Monday, March 20, 2006

Seminole returns?



Today is the last day of my Spring Break. I was supposed to spend the time off school in South Dakota, my home town. I haven't been home for almost 5 years. I tried to go up there on Labor Day, but our furnace went out, and our budget didn't allow for a vacation after purchasing a new furnace. So, I planned the trip for Spring Break. Magrelo has been very excited for me to take this trip, because he planned to paint all of the woodwork in our house, and then repaint every room in the house, while the kids and I were gone.

So, I make the plans, book the hotel (thanks to Mayhem), and begin packing. Then, my uncle calls. "We're expecting a blizzard this weekend. I'm not sure you all should be traveling this way." I'd like to add at this point that I informed my mother (who was also going) that traveling to SD before May is not wise because they have crazy weather. She argued and told me that it NEVER snows in March. When I called Mayhem to tell her that we may not be coming, she also informed me that they NEVER get as much snow as the weather men say they will. So I debate, and argue with myself, and finally decide that it's not worth the risk. Oh- I forgot to add WHY getting stuck there would be such a big deal. I received the letter last week that I have made it through the first phase of nursing school admission and now I have my interview for the program on Thursday! Between 1/3 and 1/4 of the students who apply get interviews, so this is HUGE and I do not want to have to call and reschedule one of the most important interviews of my life.

So, I stay home- and feel guilty. I keep calling SD and asking if there is snow. The answer was no each day until yesterday. As you can see from the picture I attached, they did get snow- and closed the highways. I would be stuck, and stressed.

Magrelo still painted the woodwork. And I was able to stay around the house and help him. My mom, Chia, and her hot man all took care of my kids so that they didn't have to breathe the nasty fumes. My house looks incredible! I will create a whole post about this once it's totally finished.

So, we will try SD again in the summer. Seminole will return...someday.


14 Comments:

Blogger f o r r e s t said...

maybe you are not meant to be going back to Rapid. Good decision and good luck with your interview.

12:41 PM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

What the heck Forrest (I didn't know if I could swear on your blog.., anyway, what the heck cousin??? OF COURSE she is saposed to come back here!! We love her!! We miss her!! I promise she will come back in one piece without any tattoos or arrests (save those for me...JUST KIDDING..about the arrests..).
Yep, we got snow alright- crazy big snow like I have not seen in years!! It is still snowing!! The entire town shut down, you know it is bad when McDonalds is closed!!! So, maybe next time???
I am going to go have hot chocolate with a cute boy- have a good night!!!

5:14 PM  
Blogger shakedust said...

Wouldn't you figure. I'm sorry this trip continually doesn't seem to work out.

SD weather is unpredictable. When I lived in SD I remember having a snowstorm on May 15. I remember it because they cancelled track and field day at school that year. :(

8:41 PM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

hey!! Youlived here too?? Where?? When??

Yah SD has crazy weather- it goes with the people who live here!! See, I can say that cuz it' my home town

5:44 AM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Sorry, no offense Mayhem. I was just pointing out that everytime she tries to go something happens to keep her here. Coincidence? Maybe, someone knows that once she smells the blackhills air and gets it in her blood, she'll have a hankering for a tattoo of tweety bird on her tweety. (I just made that up, I have no idea where the tweety is.)

7:31 AM  
Blogger shakedust said...

I lived in Mobridge between 1988 and 1993. It's halfway between Pierre and Bismark.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Forrest, you crack me up! I don't know where my tweety is either, but I guarntee I'm not coming home with any tatoos!

Don't be offended Mayhem, they just love me here and want to keep me!

Dust, I love the site you linked to! I didn't know you were a Dakotan!

11:50 AM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

Maybe it's part of the spring break curse. Almost every spring break in college at Evangel, I remember people from your area getting snowed in and not being able to come back for class.

2:01 PM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

OK, OK, Forrest- point taken:)
I could comment on the tweety thing, but, um, yah...I think this is a PG blog...

I know where Mobridge is!! What a small world!!!

By the way, it's still snowing....

AUGHHH!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

8:40 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Mayhem has found her TWEETY.

6:48 AM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

he he..I never lost it...

4:46 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

golden, the people from my area never really got snowed in. They just said they did because when you're from SD you can say things like that, and no one ever questions you! :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

I could tell you about being snowed in...

Aughhhh!!! Where is summer?????????

Winter just is not my season...

8:48 AM  
Blogger MsMayhem said...

helloooo...seminole...new post!!! I'm bored:0
..........

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home